IperionX Binder Jet 3D Printing Competition
IperionX aims to bring about the Age of Titanium with our sustainable, low-to-zero carbon, low cost titanium supply chain. Titanium has the highest strength-to-weight ratio of all known metals, is naturally corrosion resistant, and can withstand extreme temperatures, making it the superior choice for many metal Additive Manufacturing applications.
Is there a current part in your industry that you think would be improved if it was made from titanium?
IperionX is sponsoring a 3D Printed Titanium Part Design Contest. Submit your 3D design of a current industry part and write an explanation for why you think this part would be better printed in titanium than its current material for a chance to win a $1,000 cash prize!
If you are selected as a winner, your submission will be printed from our titanium metal powder via Binder Jet 3D Printing. Your current part/3D design may be applicable to any industry.
Please email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12am EDT Wednesday, August 31, 2022
The IperionX Binder Jet 3D Printing Design Competition is open to all currently enrolled students aged 18+ including undergraduates and graduate students (PhD, Masters, etc.). Student applicants must be enrolled in a US university. Applicants must submit the name of their current university, the program or major they’re enrolled in, whether they are an undergraduate or graduate student, and their expected graduation date and degree.
3D Design Submission: STP CAD file required, with additional .STL file preferred. and .PDF image or screenshot of design is required.
Maximum size: 100mm cube volume (parts in the 1-3 inch size range)
Winning design will be printed on the ExOne Innovent+ Metal Binder Jet 3D Printer using Ti-6Al-4V powder
Written Justification: .DOC or .PDF document. With a maximum of 1,500 words, explain what your design is and why it should be printed in titanium. Please answer the following:
- What is the current industry part you are submitting?
- What is the part used for?
- What material is the part currently made of?
- Why would it be beneficial to have the part printed in titanium over its current material?
- What would change or improve if the part was printed in titanium?
- What issue would be fixed by printing the part in titanium?
Please include the following information in your .doc or .pdf:
- Current university attended (must be in the United States)
- Major/Degree Program
- Undergraduate/graduate student status
- Expected graduation date and degree
- Short bio and/or resume/CV
- Phone number
- Do you have any knowledge of prior art or patents issued on the design/material concept? If so, please explain (max. 200 words).
By submitting this application, applicant agrees to have the 3D design used by IperionX for marketing and demonstration purposes. IperionX has the right to print as many copies of the design in titanium as needed.
Winning applicants will be notified via email at email@example.com on or before September 15, 2022.
First place – $1,000 cash prize, publication recognition, and social media recognition
Second place – $500 cash prize
Third place – $125 cash prize
Fourth place – $125 cash prize
Fifth place – $125 cash prize
Competition start date: Thursday, July 21, 2022
Submission deadline date: Wednesday, August 31, 2022.
Winner announcement date via social media and direct contact of the winner via email: September 15, 2022
Winners of the Binder Jet 3D Printing Design Competition will be determined by the following parameters.
- Vision: How well does the part capture the vision of the Age of Titanium?
- Transformation: Is the part actually better made from titanium versus its original material?
- Functionality: How functional or useful is the part?
- Practicality: Is the part actually printable in titanium?
- Optimized for Additive Manufacturing: Does the part need a large amount of supports? Can multiples of the design be printed in a single build (could the part be mass produced)?
The following Judges will evaluate how well the 3D design and written submission fit into the criteria as set by the parameters of the Binder Jet 3D Printing Design Competition.
- Dr. Eliana Fu, Technical Advisor at IperionX and Industry Manager: Aerospace & Medical at TRUMPF North America
- Dr. Zak Fang, CTO & Founder at Blacksand Technology
- Dr. Pei Sun, Research & Technology Director at Blacksand Technology
- Dr. Hyrum Lefler, VP of Research & Development at IperionX
- Anastasios Arima, CEO at IperionX
- Isabelle Duran, VP of Marketing at IperionX
Terms and Conditions